This training will prepare you to assist clients at both our Call-In Legal Clinic and Protection Assistance Project. Volunteers at our Protection Assistance Project Clinic assist survivors with drafting petitions for Civil Protection Orders, and volunteers at our Call-In Legal Clinic assist survivors by providing advice on family law and CPO issues. For many clients, calling one of our clinics is their first step toward finding safety and stability.
Topics will include:
- Overview of DCVLP clinics & intake process
- Overview of civil protection order law in DC
- Overview of family law in DC
- Tips for an effective, trauma-informed client interview
- Tips for navigating DC Superior Court’s online filing system
- Case studies of typical clinic visitors