The Domestic Relations Branch at DC Superior Court uses electronic filing in divorce and custody cases (including those that include a request for child support, but not separate child support cases). All attorney pleadings – other than sealed pleadings and emergency motions, which you must file in person at Central Intake – must be e-filed, so please set up your account immediately. E-filing is not available for CPO cases.
Instructions on creating an account and using the e-filing system can be found below. Note: As your browser, use Internet Explorer on PC or Firefox or Chrome on Macs, as CaseFileXpress does not guarantee that other browsers will provide full functionality.
- How to Register for an CaseFileXpress E-Filing Account
- Please go here and click Register, then follow the screen-by-screen instructions. If you are not DC barred, you will input the numbers “999999” as your bar number (and DC as the state of bar record) for the system to accept your information. Please note that on the first or second screen there will be a box stating: “court clerk may change my document type.” Please leave that box checked.
- At “Firm details”: type Firm Registration Code: efileDCVLP.
- At “Select Delegates”: click NEXT without selecting any options/names.
- At “User ID and Password”: if you are a solo practitioner, a CCAN attorney or are an employee of another firm/entity that will also require you to register, you will have to register twice with different user IDs. Please register through DCVLP with a user ID that identifies you as a DCVLP “law firm member,” such as lastnameDCVLP).
- E-Filing Requirements
- When attorneys e-file a motion, they are required to email proposed orders separately, in addition to e-filing, in a format that can be edited, for example, Microsoft Word. These orders must be sent to the judge’s e-serve email mailbox, with a cc to all other parties or counsel. Chambers need the editable version of the proposed orders to modify them and affix the Judge’s signature, because they cannot manipulate the PDF attachments used in e-filing.
- CaseFileXpress will not accept unsigned documents. On the signature line, you can simply write, “/s/” or include a scanned or digital signature.
- When filing a document, on the drop down menu of document types select the heading “XIFP” (in forma pauperis) for all GAL cases and for DRB cases if applicable.
- DO NOT use any special characters in the title of your documents, such as apostrophes, as the system will not accept titles with special characters. For example, the title should read “Motion of the GALs” rather than “GALs’ Motion.”
- Further E-Filing Information and Help: Please go to this page. For direct help from casefilexpress, the e-filing Support Team is available in a variety of ways to assist you, by phone at(877) 433-4533 and by email at email@example.com. You may also contact Jennifer Watkins at firstname.lastname@example.org or call us at 202-885-5542.